Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dream #115 (February 7, 2010)

Bob Dylan and I are tied.


The dream started in an off-white shack in the back yard of a house. In the middle of the night I walked from the house to the shack, hoping to be able to enter into the woods (the shack, which was more of a shed, was the only entrance to the woods, for all other areas were guarded by 20 foot tall barbed wire fences). I climbed in the window of the shack, since there was no door on the house side, and I walked to the back. The walk took much more time than I had expected, and the area around me grew very dark. It grew so dark that I had to punch a hole in the wall to let some twilight in.

It was then that I noticed the wall had been moved much farther back than it used to be (I had a memory for this nonexistent shack), and the door had been completely covered by boards nailed to the wall.

In frustration I grabbed at one of the boards, which seemed to be loosely nailed, and pulled it off with ease, so much so that I fell on my back. Unfortunately the removing of the board did not uncover the door; rather, it revealed a five foot wide spider nest. Moments later, the agile grey spiders residing in the nest were now crawling all over the walls and all over my body.

In fear, I stood motionless, not wanting to trigger a sudden panic, which could then trigger a bite. This tactic worked quite well, actually, for I remained unharmed while the spiders chewed and bit their way through the boards, door, and wall, revealing the woods I so longed for.

Moments later, the spiders ran away, disappearing into the woods. I followed them.

What I found was slightly disturbing. Every once in a while, there would be a gap amongst the trees with a little street light in the center of the gap, shining upon a figure frozen in time. I came across five such figures. One was a fisherman, another a giant fish, the third a sailor, the next an athlete, and finally a gazelle. All of these looked like they could be alive, but none of them moved even a millimeter.

I next entered a less interesting dream. This one took place in an enormous hotel (the size of several city blocks), which is where 3DYC was taking place (a youth conference). My friend and old roommate Kevin and I entered a room in the hotel (we were working at the conference), only to find that several junior highers were going to be staying with us in the same room. We were both very sad, until we discovered a large wad of cash on the pillow, with a sticky note attached to it that simply read, "COMPENSATION."


Then I awoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment