Thursday, December 2, 2010

Dream #288 (November 30, 2010)

Crazy.


I dreamt that I was flying to Japan (in a plane) to meet a filmmaker there who was going to take me on as his apprentice. I was very excited about this opportunity, so I was willing to leave all the things that were familiar to me (also, I love Japanese film).

When the plane landed, I got off and entered the airport, then hopped onto an escalator that led took me hundreds of feet into the air. To make matters worse, there were no rails on the escalator, which increased my chance of falling greatly. I looked about and noticed that I had entered a labyrinth of escalators and moving walkways, all hundreds of feet above the ground, and all without rails or siding. I was even more nervous when I realized how crowded these escalators and walkways were. People were standing shoulder to shoulder, and I was baffled at how they were able to keep from falling to their deaths.

I had been riding around, holding my breath every time I had to move, for a long time when I realized I was hopelessly lost. Then help came. A young Japanese boy grabbed ahold of my arm and pulled me down, telling me he would show me where to go. I trusted the boy, and followed him through the crowds of people, across gaps in the walkways, and up and down escalators. He made me very nervous because he pushed his way through the crowds of people like he had the right, and I followed him, attempting to remain polite (strange rhyme there). I was given several very angry looks from the businessmen that I brushed against, but most of the people didn't seem to mind.

Finally, without dying or causing somebody else to fall to his death, we made it to the baggage claim. Then the boy asked me where I was going. I told him about the filmmaker, and he led me to his house, which was just a few blocks from the airport. Now, this part of Japan looked like a subdivision, but with Japanese style architecture.

When we arrived at the man's house, the little boy pulled me aside before I entered and informed me that it was Japanese custom to create an explosion to get somebody to get the homeowner to answer the door, and when he answered the door, it was also custom to tackle him to the ground, as a sort of respectful greeting. I listened to everything the boy said and took his words to heart.

I started out by blowing up the house across the street. That definitely got the attention of the filmmaker, for he came bursting out of his house to see what was going on. I knew I was doing well, going above and beyond what I was called to do, so I added some extra speed to my sprint right before tackling the old Japanese man, slamming him into the ground. I smiled at him as I rose to my feet, pleased with myself, until I saw the great frown on his face. I turned my head an saw the little boy laughing hysterically, then turned back to the filmmaker, who was pointing in the direction I had come from. Without saying a word, he told me to leave, and all my dreams of working with him were up in flames like the house across the street.

I walked all the way to the ocean by myself, looking down all the while. When I got there, the only people there were David, Carrie, and Stella Badertscher. They were getting ready to swim, and when David saw me, he handed me an extra swimming suit and told me to join him. I gratefully accepted it and was about to put it on when I received a phone call from my friend Jon Andrew Castleberry.

He informed me that he wanted to meet with me in the nearby Japanese city, so I told the Badertschers that I would return in a couple hours, before sunset, and I ran all the way to the city. When I got there, Jon Andrew was wearing his blue and red jumpsuit (that we used for a short goofy film I helped create with him and Dan Jeter) and standing in a small shack. Then two young wanna-be Samurai, wearing shiny black armor, approached us and challenged us to a game. They said that in this game, one person was allowed to move at a time, and on a person's tern, that person could only make one move. Jon Andrew went first by bringing up his fists in a defensive position. Then one of the Samurai, destroying the innocence of the game, pulled out an enormous Samurai sword and held it in the air. Frightened, I jumped backward as far as I could. In fact, I did this exact move for several turns as the Samurai made advances toward Jon Andrew.

At that moment, I realized that I was forcing my friend to fight the young Samurai off all by himself, so I started leaping forward, in an effort to protect him, but at that point I was already too far away from the action to do any good. Just as the Jon Andrew was about to be slain by the sword, he was saved by a large military parade going through the city, which distracted the two young Samurai (who wanted to be in the military) enough to allow us to escape the game.

Then I realized that the sun had been set for a long time, and I missed my opportunity to swim in the ocean.


Then I awoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment