Sunday, July 1, 2012

Dream #466 (July 1, 2012) - The Wedding

Only in my dreams have I been married.


The setup was interesting.

I was running late.  I sprinted down the locker-clad hallway (while wearing a tuxedo) until I reached the classroom in which a wedding was supposed to transpire.  I opened the door to the narrowest possible opening through which I could slide.

My attempt at being inconspicuous was futile, for everyone in the room, contrary to what I had expected, was standing around the bride, who was crying.

Curiosity led me to walk, without hesitation, up to the bride-to-be.  I asked her what was bothering her, and she, through tears and occasional sobs, explained to me the story behind her sorrow.

Apparently there never was a fiance in this affair.  She had planned this wedding hoping that the groom would simply show up and marry her.  (Though it sounds foolish in the mindset of reality, in the dream I completely understood).  She stood at the altar and waited, but nobody came.

I knew what I had to do.

Immediately I knelt down before her and asked to be that groom fro whom she had waited.

She showed her agreement with a hug and a kiss on the forehead.  We were immediately wedded by the priest, who had been standing beside us all the while.  Her parents thanked me, and wished us well as we left that place.

While I walked with this woman, who had become my wife, I began to regret my decision.  My whole life had changed with absolutely no transition.  Was I ready for this marriage?  Would I even grow to love the woman with whom I had united?  I knew so little about her.  Furthermore, I was troubled by the absence of my family; none of my relatives or friends had attended the wedding, and not one of them had the chance to meet the bride and bless the relationship.

I asked out-loud if I had made a mistake.  She turned to me and comforted me by describing the benefits of having a partner through life.

After walking quite a distance, we entered a great mansion.  The interior of this magnificent structure was dressed only with scarlet furniture, draperies, and decor.

We entered a great bedroom and I discovered that several of my wedded (or soon to be wedded) friends were there.  I was glad, for I felt that I could connect with them on a higher level because of my newly acquired marital status.

After talking with my friends for several minutes, my wife led me off into our sect of the bedroom (divided from the rest of the room by long, red curtains hanging from the ceiling).  She smiled at me and told me that she was looking forward to our life together.

As I relaxed in the bed I closed my eyes and wondered if this was right.  Surely I could not get a divorce, for I had no solid reason for it, but, at the same time, I wasn't sure that I wanted to be married at all, no matter how great was the woman lying beside.  An argument took place in my head within the dream.


Then I awoke.  I never learned the woman's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment